Intergalactic and Planetary
New Worlds Staff, 506.09.01 @ 01:00
The government of the TDR is federal and comprises two layers and three branches. The first layer is the federal administration within which there are the executive, judicial and legislative bodies. The legislative body, the Congress, wields the most power and is bicameral, including both a House of Representatives and a Senate.
Whilst the Terran government retains the name of the United Nations, it has evolved far beyond the original structure, having abandoned Security Councils and General Assemblies in the late 21st century in favour of the federal presidential system which worked so well in the United States of America. The reasons for this are that the original United Nations was meant as a supplement to national identity, rather than a world government in its own right. Since the unification of Earth, the need for a functioning world government became paramount, and since the original United Nations was tantamount to a failure, its structure changed in everything but name, adapting parts of the presidential and parliamentary system.
The second layer of government is the United Nations Planetary Governments. Answerable to the federal administration, and required to carry out the laws enacted by the federal government, the Planetary Governments do have a certain degree of autonomy with local legislation.
The success of the constitutional system was displayed by the United States of America. Therefore, the TDR has its own constitution which the government and its citizens must clearly abide by. The Secretary General and all military personnel swear to uphold the Constitution, which defines the political structure of the Republic, and the Human Rights Convention, which lays out the rights of citizens of the Republic. The Constitution has been amended 96 times, and the Human Rights Convention 23 times, since the formation of the Republic to reflect changing political and social landscapes. "We the people of the United Nations of Earth and its colonies."
The Secretary General is the leader of the Republic. Referred to as "SecGen" for short, he is a figure who is elected every four years and leader of the federal government. Secretaries General can only sit two terms in office before someone else must be elected to the position. Political parties choose their candidates for Secretary General, and then in the leadership election, citizens of the Republic select which party they want to occupy the leadership position. Once the Secretary General has been elected, in elections that takes place on the same galactic day throughout the Republic, he is allowed to select his cabinet, which must then be confirmed by the Intergalactic Senate. The most important cabinet ministers are listed below:
- 1. Deputy Secretary General
2. Minister for Defence (selected member of the armed forces)
3. Minister for Intergalactic Affairs (appointed head of the diplomatic corps)
4. Galactic Security Advisor
5. Minister for the Treasury
6. Minister for Internal Affairs
7. Attorney General
8. Minister for Agriculture
9. Minister for Health
10. Minister for Education
11. Minister for Culture
12. Minister for Energy
13. Minister for Transportation
14. Minister for Labour
15. Minister Governor of Earth (elected by the people of Earth)
These 15 people comprise the leading membership of the Terran government and each heads a department. These departments are answerable to the Congress and the Secretary General. Earth is afforded its own ministerial position (the Minister Governor for Earth is the only elected Minister) because it is the capital planet, and Earth policy affects the general Republic as a whole so much. Earth will mostly support the decisions of the Secretary General, however in the unlikely event that it does not (the Secretary General rather than the Minister Governor of Earth is perceived as Earth's true leader) it does have a voice in both the House of Representatives and in the Senate. The Executive Branch is based at Liberty Square, in Sao Paolo, South America. The official transportation of the Secretary General is the starship "United Earth"
The House of Representatives is a weighted voting chamber made up of representatives from each of the worlds of the Republic. These representatives, known as "Congressmen" debate and create policy. The law stipulates that all bills must get approval by the UNHR before they can be enacted.
The UNHR seats are elected once every two years, on the same day as the Secretary General Election, and halfway through the Secretary General's term. The amount of say that each planet has in the UNHR is determined by their population. Congressmen represent districts, which are areas of roughly equal size from all systems. How many districts there are in a system is wholly determined by how many people live there. Some districts may be very small if the population is concentrated, however very large if it is sparse (sometimes a district can include an entire world).
The seats of the UNHR are divided between the four main parties. The party that controls the most seats are classed as "The Majority" (and Coalition Governments between two parties when the vote has been more evenly divided has helped some parties to become the Majority) while the other three parties are classed as "The Minority."
There are currently 793 representatives sitting in the UNHR. The House of Representatives and the Senate are based in Sao Paolo, South America.
The Intergalactic Senate is the second legislative body in the bicameral governmental system of the Terran Democratic Republic. Unlike the House of Representatives the Intergalactic Senate offers 1 seat to every star system, regardless of their population or importance. Senators are elected once every 6 years. The Senate's responsibilities include confirming presidential appointments and ratification of presidential treaties.
The Supreme Court is the judicial body of the government. It comprises fifteen judges who decide over the legality of government actions and legislature. The Supreme Court is also the last refuge of appeal for citizens of the Terran Democratic Republic. The Supreme Court is based in Sydney, Australia, Earth.
The current Supreme Court Justices are:
- Daniel Barrows
Juan Ignacio Montoya
These governments control the individual planets within the Republic. They have legislative control over planetary issues, and elected bodies called "Assemblies," however must conform to the legislation of the TDR government. When voters make their decision on which party to vote for in the elections, they are choosing who they want to be the next Secretary General of the Republic and their next Governor, the planetary leader.
The planetary government for Earth (UNEP) sits in Tokyo.
The planetary government for Mars sits in Olympus City. Intergalactic Security Council
- A team of twenty people from relevant government departments, including the Galactic Security Advisor, the Ministers for Intergalactic Affairs and Defence, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Director of the CIC, the Intergalactic Security Council advises the Secretary General on matters of intergalactic security and coordinates with all governmental departments to carry out the directives of the Secretary General.Diplomatic Corps (Ministry for Intergalactic Affairs)
- Under the jurisdiction of the Minister for Intergalactic Affairs, the Diplomatic Corps have embassies across Known Space. Rather than putting one embassy on every planet, the Terran Democratic Republic ensures that it has at least one embassy in every sector which any government in that sector is free to use. With the larger powers (5 systems and up), there is an embassy on their homeworlds. The Diplomatic Corps represents the TDR's interests at the Organisation for Interstellar Peace, where its largest contingent of personnel is stationed next to Earth (and followed closely by Beta Hydrae.) Ministry of Defence
- Controlled by the Minister for Defence, the MOD represents the governmental wing of the military, the United Nations Permanent Peacekeeping Force. Based out of Cairo, Earth, it has become convention that the Minister for Defence is a retired member of the armed services, simply to facilitate relations between the Executive Branch and the Military, and to avoid charges by the UNPPF that the military is being politicised.The Treasury
- The Treasury is the department responsible for regulating the money supply in the Terran Democratic Republic, and ensuring that the economy is in good working order. The Treasury provides suggestions to the Secretary General through the Minister for the Treasury on how to alter economic policy to be most beneficial to the people of the Republic.
The electoral political system has remained a fairly unchanged part of Terran life since the emergence of democracy in the 19th century. There are hundreds of political parties, spread out across the Republic. Some parties only have political presence on a planetary scale, some are Republic-wide. There are four main parties amongst whom most of the power is shared:The Republic Party
- They are a centre-right wing political party, who in the 2498 elections won 41% of the House of Representatives seats (making them the majority party in the UNHR) and in the last Senate election also came away with a majority. This is the party of Jin Chan. While progressive on social issues, the government highly favours the free market economy and a rigorous defence of Earth at any costs.The Democratic Freedom Party
- The DFP is a left wing party who hold 22% of the UNHR seats and their senatorial support is similar. They are quite left wing in their policies towards reducing poverty and increasing the role of the government and believe that it is necessary to "give and take" when dealing with alien governments.The Congress Party
- Officially describing themselves as the moderate party, but economically right wing, the Congress Party holds 13% of the House of Representatives seats. They pride themselves on presenting an alternative to left wing/right wing politics, instead advocating the need for compromise and moderation. The Congress Party has a strong environmental agenda, but have often been criticised for their lack of clear direction in dealing with aliens, and this has caused them to suffer in the Senate elections.The Workers Party
- The WORPA is a party who claim to be representing the rights of workers for the Republic. They have a strong workers rights agenda and have in recent elections been following up with policies regarding human rights. They are the only party to have taken a clear stance towards the growing Telepath population, to integrate, rather than exclude them. They have 7% of the UNHR seats, mainly from mining planets. They only have a few senators.
The final 17% of the UNHR seats are divided between smaller parties.
At the outbreak of war in 2501, the House of Representatives and later ratified by the Senate, voted to delay the next governmental election until after the war, so that the government could put all its resources in to winning.Secretary General - Jin Chan
Jin Chan is a popular Secretary General who has enjoyed very favourable numbers for his domestically moderate, economically-focused policies. His foreign policy, however, has been classified by his opponents as "dangerous," but with one of the most foreign policy apathetic generations (caused by a century of peace) there does not seem to be great concern among the general public about this. Upon the outbreak of War, his numbers remained favourable, as much of the public concurred with his stance.Deputy Secretary General - Walter Palmer
Former political rival turned uneasy bed-fellow, Senator Walter Palmer vied with Jin Chan for his party's nomination at the previous elections. When Chan secured it, and asked Palmer to serve as his DepSecGen in order to firm up his support base, Palmer agreed, deciding that it would be better to go in to the next election having served under a successful administration.Minister for Defence - Ronald Rodriguez
Major General who served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for two previous administrations, Ronald Rodriguez is a soldier who represents the latest generation of military officers, one who has never served in a War. Thus, the second Terran/Gohorn War will be a real test of Rodriguez's true soldering ability. He does not consider himself a politician.Minister for Intergalactic Affairs - Hans Sedrick
Sedrick is a career foreign service officer who served at one time as TDR Ambassador to the Organisation of Interstellar Peace. His service there and on Beta Hydrae Prime has served to give him wide-reaching experience in dealing with foreign governments.Galactic Security Advisor - Dr. Edward Andrews
Government employee for twenty years, Edward Andrews has held various positions in the Ministries for Intergalactic Affairs, Defence and the Combined Intelligence Council. Prior to the Jin Chan Administration, he had spent six years on the Intergalactic Security Council.Minister Governor of Earth - Amani Tuamini
More popular than the Secretary General, this charismatic Kenyan is considered by the media and the people to be one of the most virtuous politicians in the last fifty years.
The economy of the early 26th century is mainly free market, with a mixture of mega-corporations, planetary corporations and colonial corporations. Competition laws are strong in the Republic, keeping tight restrictions on mega-corporations and stopping them from becoming monopolies.
Economic growth in the Republic is strong, thanks to low interest rates and high demand. The economic policies of the Jin Chan Administration have been successful in achieving their goals, as the Republic's economy is the strongest it has been in almost a century. The demand has been mainly centred on capital goods, giving the TDR a strong economic base at the start of the Second Terran/Gohorn War.
The currency of the TDR is the credit. The Republic maintains a healthy import/export balance; Republic corporations export a lot of goods to the Rosebourg Monarchy, a situation made more favourable for them because of government encouragement and incentives to do so in order to buoy the Monarchy's floundering economic situation. Unemployment, especially among the middle classes, is very low.
this content item is from New Worlds Project - Sci-Fi Creative Writing and Roleplaying Game
( http://rpgnewworlds.net/plugins/content/content.php?content.244 )